Monday, August 16, 2010

Roe v Wade

Just kiddin'.

Think, What v How.

A while back my awesome, well LIT entrepreneur coach enlightened me about the concept of 'whats' versus 'hows' and how they can impede progress during personal and/or business vision questing.

Often, when pondering, brainstorming or developing goals (the whats), we intertwine how we can, or more importantly, cannot achieve such goals (the hows).

'WHAT to do vs HOW to do it' can, and often, should be seperate discussions, strategies and plans. Duh.

WHATS and HOWS get in the way of each other and often prevent committing to what's important, the vision. A committed vision (collection of whats) is a powerful force that if important enough, will prevail among any obstacles (collection of hows).

Since then, I have noticed many times how I and others have dumbed down the WHATS with the HOWS. How lame.

WHATS and HOWS do not mix well together in these scenarios. Kinda like the Hatfields and McCoys, pickles and milk, congress and the senate, Arnold and O'Donnell, the French and everyone else.

It's good to be conscious of this to remain focused and committed to determining the WHATS by kicking the HOWS's asses off to another planning discussion that won't detract from WHAT you wanna achieve.

My purpose is to improve human lives by integrating people and processes to achieve business and personal success with a hot roasted rump of enthusiasm. A most definite WHAT.

HOW? Stay tuned and come back to this site often.

Get, be and stay LIT by keeping your vision sessions apart from your implementation sessions.

Go for it now. Implement later.

Can you think of areas where you do or see this?

2 comments:

  1. Todd, I see this a lot when I hire New, Young, and Enthusiastic salespeople. I give the the "What" (Go forth and Sell) and they do astounding things. (and make lots of money). Then the "Old Timers" start to give them the "How's" (how you can't do that because) and they slowly regress Down to the level of the "Pro's".. All caught up in the "How's"..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I believe in creating a Declarative Culture where postings on the wall remind all about what's important. Perhaps one of the declarations could be 'Don't mix beer with wine or HOWs with WHATs'. Thanks, Jim!

    ReplyDelete