Kaboom! He remained there for a couple of minutes. He wasn't knocked out, just knocked down...hard.
Somewhat recently, I attended an all day CPR/first aid class offered at my last job.
The dude was able to breath on his own (first most important point) and so no need for face-to-face. Whew.
The other guys moved him over to the bench where he sat up all goofy-eyed.
Done deal. I asked the gym manager to call 911.
The instructor reiterated throughout the class that if we detect any non-normal symptoms, then consider the person to be 'dead until proven otherwise' and get immediate professional assistance. The dude behind the desk was like, 'are you sure, Todd?'.
'Yup'.
A few days later upon return to the gym Mike thanked me and said the guy had a major concussion and was appreciative of my insistence for assistance.
Felt swell to know what to do in this situation.
It makes good business sense to offer a first aid course for employees.
See some reasons here.
And of course, it makes even more sense to take a first aid course.
I'm glad to have this in my personal arsenal, even if it means I might have to use my kisser on someone other then my cute wife. Of course, when I was recently in LA and passed by Charlize Theron...
Do you have any CPR stories to share?
Thank you for the insightful tip. My husband and I own a business working with horses and their owners. We have been talking about taking a CPR course, yet haven't made the time. This is a great reminder that we should. If we know what to do, it will clearly make all the difference.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the note, Janet and I can certainly say that with all the controversy these days around head injuries and concussions in sports, I consider this class to have already been well worth my time and energy. So, by all means, make it happen.
ReplyDelete